Founded in 1931, FAWCO is a global women’s NGO (Non-Governmental Organization), an international network of independent volunteer clubs and associations comprising 64 member clubs in 34 countries worldwide, with a total membership of around 12,000. FAWCO serves as a resource and a voice for its members; seeks to improve the lives of women and girls worldwide, especially in the areas of human rights, health, education and the environment; advocates for the rights of U.S. citizens overseas; contributes to the global community through its Task Forces and The FAWCO Foundation, which provides development grants and education awards. Since 1997, FAWCO has held special consultative status to the UN Economic and Social Council..
Founded in 1967, The FAWCO Foundation is the philanthropic arm of FAWCO. A six member Board of Directors, each a member of a FAWCO Member Club, is elected at FAWCO Interim Conferences. Current Bylaws and Administrative Guidelines are posted on The FAWCO Foundation website. Incorporated in the State of Missouri in 1967 as a not-for-profit corporation, designated donations are eligible for US tax exemption to the full extend allowed by law.
The FAWCO Foundation marked its 40th “Ruby Anniversary” at the Lyon Conference and celebrated The Foundation’s past, present and future! As of 2012 over $1 million has gone back to Member Clubs and individuals through Education Awards and Development Grants (DGs).
FAWCO’s philanthropic arm is supported by the generous and caring spirit of our Member Clubs and individuals. FAWCO relies on the generosity of Member Clubs and individuals in order to maintain a strong and healthy philanthropic program.
Many Club members have asked The FAWCO Foundation Board how best to get their Clubs interested in the ongoing philanthropic efforts of FAWCO. Here are a few suggestions to help you get started:
• Join your Club’s FAWCO Committee and/or ask the FAWCO Rep how you can help
• Become a “Friend of The FAWCO Foundation”
• Be a cheerleader! Organize an event/activity to highlight The Foundation and encourage your members to participate
• Become part of FAWCO history by creating a quilt square for the FAWCO Friendship Quilts.
• Assist your Club and Clubs in your region in submitting up to two proposals for a Development Grant
• Encourage members of your Club and Clubs in the region to apply for Educational Awards for themselves and/or their children
• Contribute an item to the Silent and/or Live Auctions held at each FAWCO conference
• Explain the “what and why” of The FAWCO Foundation to your members
• Learn about the Kids Help Program and other philanthropic programs
• Need help in being a cheerleader? Please contact Foundation President Patti Meek
Member Clubs and individuals who support ongoing philanthropic efforts are “Friends of The FAWCO Foundation”. Contributions of $1,000 + entitle the Club or individual to part sponsor an Education Award or Development Grant. Contributions of the full amount of an Award or Development Grant entitle the donor to be a Title Sponsor.
Contributions to The FAWCO Foundation programs and funds may be made online with VISA/MasterCard by clicking on www.fawcofoundation.org/donation.html Information about memorials, bequests, and the endowment fund are located on the website at www.fawcofoundation.org or write to the President. Club and individual generosity and support are paramount to maintaining your Foundation. Thank you for making The FAWCO Foundation part of your individual and Club philanthropic effort!
Conferences are great fun, but can be overwhelming. Keep following The Foundation website for up-to-the-minute information, especially about the much-anticipated Foundation Night.
• Please bring some quality items for the Silent Auction: small and sparkly items are always popular (and easy to fit in suitcases), as are interesting items from your area. Bring something you yourself would want to bid on!
• Bring a Live Auction prize! If you live in an interesting location or have a vacation home, please consider offering up a vacation stay there as one of our Live Auction Prizes. If you have access to quality products that could be used in the auction, let the VP Fundraising know.
• Bring an outfit for The Foundation night that fits the theme. Be creative, be bold - it's more fun!
• Bring your wallet and credit card to Foundation Night. You will need them! On the night of the auctions, be generous with your bidding. The goal is to support charity, not just scoop up a bargain.
Sure! Send silent auction prizes with those who are attending or offer up a vacation home or B&B at your place for a Live Auction prize. Live auction prizes will go up on the web site shortly before the Conference. You can bid on these items even if you don't attend. Can you sew or craft? Contribute a quilt square. Or if you would like to buy a raffle ticket and enter the drawing for the finished quilt, buy tickets from your club rep. You do not have to be present to win; just ask our last two quilt winners!