What is The FAWCO Foundation?
Founded in 1967, The FAWCO Foundation is the philanthropic arm of FAWCO. A six-member Board of Directors, each a member of a FAWCO Member Club, is elected at FAWCO Interim Conferences. Current Bylaws and Administrative Guidelines are posted on The FAWCO Foundation website. Incorporated in the State of Missouri in 1967 as a nonprofit corporation, designated donations are eligible for US tax exemption to the full extent allowed by law.
The FAWCO Foundation marked its 50th Anniversary at the Mumbai Conference in India by taking a look at how The Foundation began. As of 2018, almost $2 million has been disbursed to benefit FAWCO clubs, individual members and FAWCO-related initiatives.
How can I help promote The FAWCO Foundation?
The Foundation is supported by the generous and caring spirit of Member Clubs and individuals to maintain its strong and successful philanthropic programs. Member Clubs have used the following suggestions to get their Clubs interested in the ongoing philanthropic efforts of The Foundation:
- Join your Club’s FAWCO Committee and/or ask the FAWCO Rep how you can help Become a “Friend of The FAWCO Foundation.”
- Be a cheerleader! Organize an event/activity to highlight The Foundation and encourage your members to participate.
- Become part of FAWCO history by creating a quilt square for the annual FAWCO Foundation Friendship Quilt.
- Assist your Club and Clubs in your region in submitting up to two proposals for a Development Grant.
- Encourage members of your Club and Clubs in the region to apply for Education Awards for themselves, their children and grandchildren.
- Contribute items to the Silent and/or Live Auctions held at each FAWCO conference.
- Explain the “what and why” of The FAWCO Foundation to your members.
Please contact the Foundation President, Suzanne Wheeler, for more on how you can become involved.
Who are the “Friends of The FAWCO Foundation”?
Member Clubs and individuals who support ongoing philanthropic efforts are “Friends of The FAWCO Foundation.” To learn more, please go to our Friends of The FAWCO Foundation page.
Contributions to The FAWCO Foundation programs and funds may be made online by credit card or PayPal by going to our Donations page. For information on memorials, bequests and the endowment fund, please contact the Foundation President or Treasurer. Club and individual generosity and support are paramount to maintaining your Foundation. Thank you for making The FAWCO Foundation part of your individual and Club philanthropic effort!
What do I need to bring to a FAWCO Biennial Conference or Interim Meeting?
Conferences are great fun, but can be overwhelming. Keep following The Foundation website for up-to-date information, especially about our much-anticipated Foundation Night.
- Please bring some quality items for the Silent Auction: small and sparkly items are always popular (and easy to fit in suitcases), as are interesting items from your area. Bring something you yourself would want to bid on! PLEASE NOTE: If you wish to offer a Live Auction item for Foundation Night, such as a vacation home or destination, it must be donated prior to the conference to be included in our Live Auction catalog. Please contact our VP Fundraising to arrange this.
- Bring an outfit for Foundation Night that fits the theme. Be creative, be bold - you and your outfit will be a great addition to a fun evening!
- Bring your wallet to Foundation Night. You will need it! On the night of the auctions, be generous with your bidding and raffle ticket purchases. The goal is to support charity, in addition to going home with something fun and unique. You might just scopp up a bargain!
I'm not going to the conference this year, but is there something I can do to stay involved?
There are lots of ways to be involved, even if you're not attending the conference. You can donate and bid on Auction items and win raffle prizes without being present.
- Do you like to sew? Contribute a quilt square to the Friendship Quilt which is raffled off at the conference. Instructions for the following year's quilt are usually posted on the website by May, in time for summer sewing!
- Donate a Live Auction prize! If you live in an interesting location or have a vacation home, please consider offering up a vacation stay as one of our Live Auction prizes. If you have access to other quality products that could be used in the Live Auction, please let the VP Fundraising know.
- You can bid on Live Auction items even if you don't attend. A listing of the Live Auction items will be posted on the website shortly before the conference.
- You can send Silent Auction items with someone who is attending - something small and easy to transport is always welcome.
- You can purchase raffle tickets for the quilt and the high-end item from your FAWCO Rep. You need not be present to win.
- You can also become a Benefactor! You offer greatly appreciated financial support and, in turn, you receive a gift from The Foundation.
- Information for all of the above is posted on the website a few months before the conference. If you have further questions regarding any of these options, please feel free to contact the VP Fundraising.